Thursday, June 4, 2009

Obama's Cairo Speech a Home Run

Even a cynic like me thought Barack Obama made a fantastic speech to the Muslim world today in Cairo. (see the whole thing here.)

Personally, I think we need to get out of the region immediately. That isn't going to happen. So, if the US wants to play the Beacon of Liberty, and continue an influential role over there, the speech hit the exact note. It was honest, he admitted that the US was not perfect, and cited examples on that note. But it was an appeal to the better angels of our nature as human beings. He was asking if the Muslims were up for the task. I have no idea how they took it over there, but from my point of view it seems that it has to influence people.

I've sheltered myself from reaction to it, so far today. I'm not sure what others are saying about it, but I imagine Rush and Ann's heads are exploding right now. No doubt the left wingers are having pillow talk about what they just experienced. I think regular Americans are thinking to themselves: This is why we elected this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment