Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Survivalist Movement Reviving

As reader Finnegan mentioned in the comments last week, citing the 1970's, with dire economic times comes an increase in the "survivalist" movement.

With that comes a report that it is becoming popular again. Thought things were bad? US survivalists await worse:

"The movement's definitely growing," Rawles, manager of the site survivalblog.com, told AFP by telephone from what he described as a survival-ready ranch "somewhere west of the Rocky Mountains."

Survivalists have a long history in the United States. But what used to be the preserve of anti-establishment loners, cultists and gun nuts has gone mainstream.

Government agencies are encouraging citizens to prepare evacuation plans and food supplies in case of myriad disasters.

Firearms, gold pieces, and long-storage food are reportedly flying off the shelves, and the Internet is flooded with sites like survivalblog.com, where the like-minded exchange tips on everything from marksmanship to cheese making.

"We're seeing three times the number of readers we had just nine months ago," Rawles said.
"The cross section of the readership is changing too. Before, most of my readership was conservative Christians. We're seeing a lot more left of center."


Experts say sparks for this phenomenon include the 9/11 attacks of 2001, government incompetence during Hurricane Katrina in 2005, and now recession: people are more afraid and less trusting in government.

The more radical survivalists are getting ready for what they call EOTWAA, the End-Of-The-World-Armageddon-Apocalypse, or the niftier SHTF, as in Shit Hits The Fan.


With all the movies we've seen in our lifetimes with these doomsday/apocalyptic/Armageddon scenarios one can't help but think of what it would be like. I tend to think I would be in trouble. I don't even know how to fish, let alone hunt. In the movies, I'd be one of those types in the desperate mob who still remain in the city. I'm pounding on your SUV window: "Let me in!" "Help!" 'I need to get out of here, we're all going to be killed!"

2 comments:

  1. I went through the ice storm in 1998. When there is no heat, power, and all the banks, gas stations, and stores are closed, it`s a really shitty feeling. You don`t have to live in a bomb shelter, but a few extra Kraft Dinners in the pantry can really help out. Waiting around for the army to bring you some food, is something you don`t want to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'd be one of those types in the desperate mob who still remain in the city. I'm pounding on your SUV window: "Let me in!" "Help!" 'I need to get out of here, we're all going to be killed!""

    LOL!! Although I own a car I would be in the same boat as you. I would have no where to drive to. In Toronto, the gun toting SUV drivers will race off to their half a million dollar cottages for refuge.

    "We're seeing a lot more left of center."

    The appocalypse is an enviro-lefties dream. The total collapse of commerce and capitalism would be great for the earth. The death toll is also great for the earth. Thousands of communal tribes living off the land will all be what's left. Paradise... my brother.

    ReplyDelete