Saturday, December 20, 2008

Overrated - Underrated

Prospect, the British magazine asked various people what or who they thought was overrated and underrated in 2008.

I thought I'd have a little fun with it and belted out my own short list.

Overrated

Obama – He ran a great campaign. He beat Hilary while appearing above it all. He handled McCain easily. He had the courage to stick with his anti-Iraq War stance. But I watched his biography recently on tv, and man, is that resume slim. I still don’t know what a community organizer is either.

Facebook – I remember the feeling of relief when leaving high school of the thought that there were many people I’d never see again. These are the type of people who love Facebook and they will find you.

NHL Hockey – Too many teams, playing too many games, with too many unrecognizable European players, culminating in a too long playoffs format. I used to enjoy attending games but it’s no where near fulfilling the expectations you have for the price you pay. Take a Caribbean vacation for the same price.

HBO Canada – I was pumped up when it got approved here but it has been disappointing. They play mediocre 15 year old movies over and over. Is there a pressing need to see Fatherland? Bill Maher is great but they only run 10 episodes a year.

Sarah Palin - White trash, evangelical, snake handlers celebrated her as being "one of us.” No, millions thought to themselves, that ain’t me. There’s talk of her being the front runner for Republicans in 2012. Trust me, she won’t be the nominee.

Iggy – People have annoited him the great hope of the Liberal Party. His un-elected ascension to the Liberal leadership is getting off to a poor start. He is still fuddling his way around without a clear position on the coalition. Remember that other can't miss star, Paul Martin?

Underrated

Pakistan – It has about 60 active nuclear weapons and it's on the verge of becoming a failed state. It’s the new centre of world terrorism. Something really bad is going to come out of this situation.

Bit Torrent – With an HDMI cable feeding into your tv, this is the greatest home entertainment improvement of my adult life. I haven’t used my video store card in 12 months.

...

If you have any you would like to add, please do so in the comments section. I know there are much better ones out there.

1 comment:

  1. Sec Def Gates has Pakistan as priority number one. No underestimation there.
    http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/9835

    ReplyDelete